What are Service Questionnaires?
After the end of World War I, the Minnesota War Records Commission compiled information on living veterans of that war. They also gathered information about Army, Navy, and Red Cross nurses, as well as about Hennepin County personnel of non-military war-service organizations.
The Service Questionnaires were four-pages long and asked for biographical data and details of their military service. They were occasionally returned with photographs, war letters, or other related material. Some of the individuals with Questionnaires may also have World War I Bonus Files.
Gold Star Roll records are similar, but were filled out by relatives on behalf of those who died during World War I service.
How do I order a copy of a Service Questionnaire?
- Search in the Minnesota Historical Society's Collections Online or People Finder systems. In either system, search for the name and the term "service questionnaire" (include the quotes) in the search box in the top-center area of the screen.
- Clicking on the record title will take you to more information about the record. This should help if you see multiple records in your results list and are not sure which to order based on just the name and any possible initials. In particular, the Place line of the more detailed record will tell you where the payments were mailed.
- Click on the Buy button next to the record you want to order to start the online ordering process.
- Prepayment is required and non-refundable.
- The $9 fee includes shipping costs.
- If paying by check, select the Offline Payment option during the online check-out process and make your check payable to the Minnesota Historical Society.
- Payment must be received within 30 days of placing the order or the order will be cancelled.
- Members of the Minnesota Historical Society receive a 10% discount. Visit the Membership page to find out more about becoming a Society member.
- World War I Service Questionnaire Requests are completed on a first-come-first-served basis
- Turn-around time can be as much as 30 business days if we are busy, dating from the receipt of payment
- Copies will be sent via first class US Mail.