What are the Gold Star Roll Records?
The Minnesota Public Safety Commission cooperated with the War Records Commission to compile information on men and women who died while in military service during World War I.
These Gold Star Rolls Records are mainly four-page forms giving biographical and service information. Clippings, photographs, and sometimes letters accompany many of the forms. Some of the individuals with Gold Star Roll records may also have World War I Bonus Files.
World War I Service Questionnaires are similar, but were filled out by still-living service-people after the war was over.
How do I order a copy?
- Search the Minnesota Historical Society's Collections Online or People Finder systems for an individual's Gold Star Roll Record. In either system, search for the name and the term "gold star roll form" in the search box on the top-center area of the screen.
- Clicking on the record title will take you to more information about the record.* This should help if you see multiple records in your results list and are not sure which to order based on just the name and any possible initials. In particular, the Notes line of the more detailed record will often give information like birthdate, deathdate, county of residence, and mother's maiden name.
- Click on the Buy button next to the record you want to order to start the online ordering process.
*Please Note: If the Description box mentions photographs or the Format box includes the phrase "Content Category: photographs," this means that the record includes one or more photographs. You will recieve a photocopy quality copy of the image with your order. If you would like to order a higher quality digital scan or print of the photograph, please use our Image Order Form.
- Prepayment is required and non-refundable.
- The $15 fee includes shipping costs.
- You can pay by credit card directly through the online store system.
- If paying by check, select the Offline Payment option during the online check-out process and make your check payable to the Minnesota Historical Society.
- Payment must be received within 30 days of placing the order or the order will be cancelled.
- Members of the Minnesota Historical Society receive a 10% discount. Visit the Membership page to find out more about becoming a Society member.
- Gold Star Roll Research Requests are completed on a first-come-first-served basis
- Turn-around time can be as much as 30 business days if we are busy, dating from the receipt of payment
- Copies will be sent via first class US Mail.