If visiting the library is not a good option, staff can make photocopies or PDF scans of specific materials and send them to researchers via US Mail or email through our Copy Request service.
Note: If you are interested in copying materials as an on-site researcher, please see our Copying Library Materials FAQ page.
What is the Photocopy Request Service?
- Meant for off-site researchers who know exactly what they want copied and can provide a specific citation (a folder in an archival collection, a range of page numbers within a book, an article in a journal, etc.)
- A copying service rather than a research service; it does not include researching which materials within a collection are applicable to your topic. If you need more general research services or assistance, please see our Research Services webpage.
- Compliant with the restrictions of US Copyright Law.
- Different from Interlibrary Loan (ILL): In many cases materials in microfilm format can be borrowed via ILL through your local public or university library.
In order to make use of this service, you should:
- Search in the Library's catalog and/or online finding aids to find what you would like copied
- Complete the Copy Request Form with a specific citation telling us what you would like copied. Incomplete requests will be returned.
- Send the completed form--with payment information--to us via US Mail, fax, or email. We accept requests sent via email, but this is NOT recommended due to security issues.
- Please note:
- A single order can include copies from 1 published item or up to 3 boxes from the same collection. Orders for copies from more than one collection/item or from more than 3 boxes will be separated into multiple orders.
- We will not process your order until payment is received.
Costs and Payment
- Prepayment is required and non-refundable. We will not process your order until payment is received.
- The total cost of the order will be the request fee plus per page copying/scanning charges and any applicable handling charges.
- The request fee for MN residents is $12.00; Non-MN residents pay $15.00. Shipping by US Mail is included, but emailed and unusually large mail orders will incur additional handling fees.
- Staff cannot provide photocopy cost or page count estimates in advance.
- Copies of printed materials are:
- 8.5" x 11" or 8.5" x 14": $0.20 each
- 11" x 17": $0.25 each
- Oversized bound materials: $1.00 per page
- Oversized flat materials: $5 per linear foot (up to 36" width)
- Copies from microfilm or microfiche are $0.50 each.
- Credit card is the preferred method of payment.
- If paying by credit card, please note a maximum charge limit on the request form. You will then be contacted if additional funds are needed to complete your request.
- If paying by check, make the check payable to the Minnesota Historical Society in an amount appropriate to the size of your request. Underpayment will delay your order; if additional funds are needed we will notify you before finishing your request. Please note: At this time we are unable to refund any over-payment made by check. Any extra funds on orders paid by check will be considered a donation.
- Minnesota Historical Society members receive a 10% discount. Visit our Membership page to find out how to become a Society member.
- As much as 30 business days dating from the receipt of payment
Within 5 business days dating from the receipt of payment
- $20 additional fee
- Email delivery recommended but not required
- Up to 100 photocopies can be sent via US Mail for no additional charge
- Larger orders will incur additional shipping fees
- Black-and-white, photocopy quality scans can be sent via email. If you need a higher resolution or a color scan, please request using our Image Order form.
- There is an additional fee of $1.00 per 10 pages, rounded up to the nearest 10 pages.
- Large email orders may be delivered as attachments to multiple emails, in order to accommodate the limitations of some email systems.