Requests accepted via: ALA, OCLC, MINITEX. Fax requests will be treated as an ALA request.
For information about requesting FamilySearch microfilm for use at the Minnesota Historical Society Library see our FamilySearch Micofilm Loan page.
The Minnesota Historical Society participates in Interlibrary Loan on a limited basis as the collections are considered to be reference material.
- Most microfilmed items are available for loan if we have a master negative of the film.
- The Society's collections of Minnesota newspapers are on microfilm and most may be borrowed.
- Most microfilmed manuscript collections, Minnesota State Archives records, city directories and county atlases may be loaned.
- Some of the Reserve Collection of rare materials may be copied.
- Books, genealogies, serials, dissertations, audio visual materials, Federal Census microfilm and death certificates are not available for loan.
Three weeks from the date items are received by the borrowing institution. A one-time renewal for two weeks is available. Renewal requests must come from the borrowing institution.
Loan charges are $3.00 per reel plus $2.50 handling for each order. MHS prefers IFM (ILL Fee Management an electronic funds transfer). If this is not possible, the items will be invoiced.
All loaned materials must be used in the borrowing library. A researcher may borrow up to six reels of microfilm at one time and may not request additional loans until previously borrowed films have been returned.
Photocopies may be requested from books and serials, depending on their condition. The charge for copies is $.20 per page ($2.00 minimum charge) plus postage. See the Copy Services page for details. To request photocopy orders please refer to our Research Services page under Specific Citations Requests.
Various types of Digital scans may be requested from books and serials. Lower quality pdf scans are also available at $.20 per page plus a $3.00 scanning fee per order.
Inquiries regarding Interlibrary Loan policy and proceedures should be directed to ILL email or by telephone at: 651-259-3302. For information on the availablility of particular materials please contact the Library.
For information about requesting FamilySearch microfilm for use at the Minnesota Historical Society Library see our FamilySearch Microfilm Loan page.