The Minnesota Historical Society Library participates in Interlibrary Loan on a limited basis.
Information for Individuals:
What is Interlibrary Loan?
Many libraries participate in Interlibrary Loan (ILL) services in a cooperative effort to provide research materials to scholars, students, and other researchers. Everyday MNHS loans materials all over the world to public libraries, universities, and other institutions of learning.
Borrowing Materials to View at MNHS
With the exception of Family Search Microfilm
, MNHS does not borrow materials from other institutions on behalf of individuals.
Borrowing MNHS Materials to View Elsewhere
Individuals should contact their public library to determine their microfilm viewing capabilities and to create an ILL request. MNHS only loans out materials on microfilm and any microfilmed item can be loaned if we have a master negative of the film. This includes:
- All Minnesota newspapers on microfilm
- Many microfilmed manuscript collections and MN State Archives records
- Most microfilmed city directories, and county atlases
MNHS does not loan any books, serials, audio-visual materials, Federal Census microfilm, or death certificate microfilm.
- 3 weeks from the date items are received by the borrowing institution.
- A one-time renewal for 2 weeks is available.
- Renewal requests must come from the borrowing institution.
- A researcher may borrow up to 6 reels of microfilm at one time and may not request additional loans until previously borrowed films have been returned.
- Loan charges* are $3.00 per reel plus $2.50 shipping for each order.
- Photocopies or low-resolution digital scans of book chapters or journal articles may be requested through Interlibrary Loan, depending on copyright and the condition of the item. (Note: Microfilm is loaned for newspaper article requests.)
- The charge for copies is $.20 per page* plus $1.75 shipping for physical copies.
- The minimum charge for copies is $2.00.
- Requests for Interlibrary Loan copies should be submitted by a public library or other institution.
- For photocopies from Manuscripts or State Archives, see our Copy Request research service.
*Individuals should contact their library regarding charges as costs may vary based on the borrowing institution’s interlibrary loan policies.
Inquiries regarding Interlibrary Loan policies and procedures should be directed to email@example.com
or by telephone at: 651-259-3302. For information on the availability of materials search our online catalog, call the library at: 651-259-3300, or email the library. For information about requesting Family Search microfilm for use at the MNHS library, see our Family Search Microfilm Loan page.
Information for Borrowing Institutions
ILL requests can be submitted via Minitex, OCLC WorldShare (symbol MHS. IFM payment preferred), email (firstname.lastname@example.org
), fax (651-297-7436), or US mail. Invoices will be sent with the borrowed items. Microfilm should be returned boxed and sent via USPS library rate mail to:
Minnesota Historical Society
345 Kellogg Blvd. West
St Paul, MN 55102