The Minnesota Historical Society Library is a FamilySearch affiliated library. This means that researchers in our library may borrow from the vast collection of U.S. and European records available from the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.
How to Find Family History Library Microfilm
- Search the FamilySearch catalog to find the film you want to order: https://www.familysearch.org/
- Make a note of the film numbers for use when ordering.
How to Place an Order
- Note: Since September 21, 2011, FamilySearch has only processed orders online.
- Set up your individual account on https://www.familysearch.org/films
- Choose the Minnesota Historical Society as the place you want to view the film.
- Place your film order and pay with your credit card, PayPal or prepaid MasterCard or Visa. You have 24 hours to make changes to the order before it is processed by FamilySearch.
Prices and Length of Loan
- Short term film loan $7.50 - loan period is 90 DAYS and starts when film is shipped from FamilySearch
- Extended film loan $18.75 – no defined return date
- Short term film loan renewal – $7.50 adds 90 days, unlimited renewals
- Extended film loan renewal – $18.75, film stays at MHS Library
- Extended fiche loan – $4.75 per collection, fiche stays at MHS Library
Conditions and Other Information
- All film and fiche remains at MHS during the loan period and must be used in our library.
- FamilySearch will notify you immediately if film is restricted or if MHS already has a copy.
- FamilySearch will notify you by email when the film is shipped, if it is backordered, and when it is recieved at MHS.
- You are sent an email renewal notice 7 days before the film is due to be returned.
Contact the Interlibrary Loan office
For information about requesting Minnesota Historical Society Library materials for use at your local library see our Interlibrary Loan page.