Shipwrecks from a mighty 1905 November gale prompted this rugged landmark's construction. Completed by the U.S. Lighthouse Service in 1910, Split Rock Light Station soon became one of Minnesota's best known landmarks. Restored to its 1920s appearance, the light station offers a glimpse of lighthouse life in this remote and spectacular setting.
Split Rock Lighthouse is a National Historic Landmark.
Did You Know?
The lighthouse is open daily through Oct. 23, come visit and see the North Shore in a whole new light!
Split Rock Lighthouse prints, mugs and models make great gifts. Shop online.
Play a fog horn from today.
Play a fog horn from the early 1900s.
Lake Superior is 602 feet above sea level.
The Split Rock Lighthouse tower is 54 feet high.
The cliff that the Split Rock Lighthouse sits atop is 130 feet high.
The official range of the light is 22 miles.
The lighthouse was in operation between the years 1910-1961.
By the time Split Rock Light Station was completed in mid summer 1910, workers had spent 13 months on the desolate cliff, with only a break during the worst months of winter.
The station was one of the most remote on the Great Lakes when it was commissioned by the U.S. Lighthouse Service in 1910.
Before Lake Superior International Highway was built in 1924, supplies for the light house had to arrive by water and tramway.
The U. S. Lighthouse Service completed construction of the 7.6-acre facility in 1910 and operated it until 1939, when the U.S. Coast Guard took command.
The station closed in 1969 when modern navigational equipment made it obsolete.