DYK Image: 

The inset tile on the exterior of the building was designed by Mille Lacs elder Batiste Sam and is based on an Ojibwe beaded belt.

DYK Image: 

The first known European contact occurred in 1679 when Daniel Greysolon, Sieur Du Luth explored the region. He traded with the Dakota at their thriving community and claimed the land for France.

DYK Image: 

The Society, in close contact with the Band, has operated a museum on the site for more than 30 years. The original building was closed in 1992 so the new museum could take its place, opening on May 18, 1996.

DYK Image: 

Archaeological evidence shows that prehistoric Indian people occupied the site as early as 3,000 B.C. Before 1,000 B.C., Indians were making copper tools.

DYK Image: 

There are approximately 2,200-pieces in the Ayer Collection. The objects were collected by Harry and Jeanette Ayer, who ran a fishing resort and trading post on the site from 1918 to 1958.

DYK Image: 

The men at the fur post consumed 5.5 pounds of meat per day. 

DYK Image: 

It takes sixty beaver to make up a 90-pound pack. 

DYK Image: 

The North West Company Schooner Caledonia was the only vessel to participate in the both invasions of Mackinac Island during the war of 1812. 

DYK Image: 

It takes 10 muskrat or 21 squirrels to equal one beaver in trade. 

DYK Image: 

It takes approximately 40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of maple syrup.