View 30 paintings, photos, and material patterns created by Mille Lacs Band member Steve Premo for the exhibit "On Home Ground," on view through October 31.
Visit the Trading Post for locally made hand crafted gifts. Open year round (except first two weeks in Jan.) Wed-Sat 11-4
The Mille Lacs Indian Museum and Trading Post provides an intimate, scenic, historical and educational atmosphere for rental
events. Consider us for meetings, workshops, corporate or family gatherings.
There are approximately 2,200-pieces in the Ayer Collection. The objects were collected by Harry and Jeanette Ayer, who ran a fishing resort and trading post on the site from 1918 to 1958.
Archaeological evidence shows that prehistoric Indian people occupied the site as early as 3,000 B.C. Before 1,000 B.C., Indians were making copper tools.
The Society, in close contact with the Band, has operated a museum on the site for more than 30 years. The original building was closed in 1992 so the new museum could take its place, opening on May 18, 1996.
The first known European contact occurred in 1679 when Daniel Greysolon, Sieur Du Luth explored the region. He traded with the Dakota at their thriving community and claimed the land for France.
The inset tile on the exterior of the building was designed by Mille Lacs elder Batiste Sam and is based on an Ojibwe beaded belt.