Located in the center of the town of Marine on St. Croix, a state historic marker identifies Minnesota's first commercial sawmill, the Marine Lumber Company. A strip of grass stretches behind the marker to the edge of the bluff which rises above a pile of huge cut stones, evidence of the mill which thrived for more than 50 years from 1839 to 1895. In the woods to the south are two depressions with the remains of buildings which provided the finishing processes before shipping the lumber down river.
Just a few blocks to the north and east is the Stone House museum which houses crafts and articles from the daily life of early settlers. The museum is staffed by members of the Marine Civic Club.
Marine Mill is on the list of National Register of Historic Places.