- Parking is available on Summit Avenue and adjacent streets. The area immediately in front of the site on Summit Avenue is designated 2-hour parking for visitors. No designated disability parking is available.
- The only curb cut is at the entrance to the driveway.
- Visitors can drive through the gates to drop off directly in front of the main entrance or the ramped entrance on the side of house.
- Service dogs welcome
- First aid kits available
- Staff trained in first aid
- Communication accommodations available upon request 14 days in advance
For visitors with mobility disabilities
- The James J. Hill House is wheelchair accessible by a side ramp just past the main entrance.
- There is an elevator available during tours for those with limited mobility.
- The boiler room and the backyard hillside are not wheelchair accessible.
- One wheelchair is available for visitor use. Please call 651-296-8760 for availability.
- The James J. Hill House has restrooms on the first floor and wheelchair accessible restrooms on the lower level.
For visitors who are blind or have low vision
- Lighting is dim because of the historic nature of the house
- Touch tours are available upon request
For visitors who are deaf or hard of hearing
- ASL interpreters are available for school groups, special programs and events upon request with three weeks notice. Call 651-259-3400 for more information.
- The film shown during tours has a written transcript available.
For visitors who have dementia
MNHS Statement on Accessibility
The James J. Hill House welcomes all visitors. We recognize the diverse needs of our audience and strive to offer accessible programming to enable all visitors to explore this historic site.
However, accessibility for guests with limited mobility can be challenging at our historic sites due to historic and natural features. With advance notice, we will make every effort to respond to access needs.
Our goal is to provide as much information as possible to guests before their visit to any of our sites and museums.
If you have additional questions about accessibility or other needs please contact the Hill House at 651-297-2555 or email@example.com.
For general questions regarding access initiatives at the Minnesota Historical Society, please contact Maren Levad, Museum Access Specialist, at 651-259-3480 or firstname.lastname@example.org.